Today 10th December 2019 I received an invitation of Master Ayush first Birthday from Mrs. Lalita Anil Logavi on whatsapp and suddenly I recollected about the incident which had taken place last December.
Message from Mrs. Lalita Logavi
- Mrs. Lalita Logavi gave birth to twins in which one was a girl and the other a boy on 14th December 2018.
- All three were safe after the delivery.
- One year ago on 18th December 2018. The ESIC hospital of Marol, Mumbai had caught fire.
- The hospital was full of smoke due to this sudden fire.
- Many people were injured due to this fire and smoke.
- Mrs. Lalita Logavi’s room was also filled with the smoke, due to which it was very difficult for her to breath, both the twins were restless because of it.
- The rescue operation of patients and extinguishing fire started immediately.
- Mrs. Lalita Logavi and both the twins were moved to a nearby hospital.
- But due to the smoke the newly born twins became breathless and were injured.
- I was invited for the Satyanarayan Pooja on 10th December 2019 which was organized by Mrs. Lalita Anil Logavi on account of the first birthday of Ayush who survived in that incident.
Impressive feelings of heartbreak as well as strife to save children, the requirement of improvement in the security of the ESIC Hospital, the impact of government red tape on the Logavi family, the difficulties faced due to it were all the things flashed before my eyes.
At the same time, the definition of the government system regarding the assistance given to the dead and injured, the difficulties/problems of the common people also were realized.
- This incident had 11 death victims and around 176 seriously injured victims.
- The Addl. Commissioner ESIC Mr. Sanjay Kumar Sinha had declared Rs. 10 lakhs as compensation to the heirs of the deceased and 2 lakhs rupees for the seriously injured patients in this mishap.
- The hospital officials refused to help Mrs. Lalita Logavi stating about the daughter that the baby girl was a premature birth and she would anyway not survive. However they gave her 2 lakhs as compensation.
- When this incident was brought to my notice I contacted Mr. and Mrs. Logavi regarding complete information about the mishap that took place and assured them of my help.
Consolation letter to Logavi family
- As a Chairman of Parliamentary Committee of Labour I told the officials of the concerned State Insurance Corporation that, “If a victim has died due to fire or accident during treatment, then the person’s inheritant should receive the full amount of compensation.
- Similarly even Logavi family is eligible for a compensation of Rs. 10 lakhs but they are been give only Rs. 2 lakhs.
- The plans/measures for the safety of the patients in the hospital were discussed. Some changes regarding it were suggested.
- In the wake of the incident, some suggestions/improvements regarding the governments’s approach regarding the systems were suggested. Today, a year later, the department accepts most of these suggestions and reforms.
I was very happy after listening to a news on 23rd November 2019 stating:
“Mumbai’s ESIC hospital to pay full compensation to Fire victims kin”
“अग्निकांडात बळी पडलेल्यांना संपूर्ण नुकसान भरपाई देणार मुंबईचे ईएसआयसी रुग्णालय”
- Thereafter the Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) decided to pay the full compensation of Rs. 10 lakhs to the Logavi family for their daughter.
Accordingly the Logavi family received the cheque of Rs. 10 lakhs in the month of January 2019.
Mr. Anil Logavi contacted me after receiving the aid and said,
“Thank you sir for your help due to which poor people like us could get justice”